Us ADHD-ers often look at our weaknesses and focus on what we are bad at. This really gets in the way of our well-being and ability to get shit done!
There is another way of looking at this! Research has shown that people who focus on their strengths:
Made more progress on their goals
Met their basic psychological needs (autonomy, relatedness, and competence)
Were higher in overall well-being (a combination of higher life satisfaction, higher positive emotions, and lower negative emotions)
Why would you focus on your weaknesses rather than your strengths?!
Want to find out what your strengths are? Visit this website and take the VIA character strength survey!
What can you do once you have your strengths?
Take a look at your top strengths (first seven or eight) and:
- Identify how these strengths have helped you in the past!
- How are you using these strengths in your everyday life?
- Identify your future goals and see how your strengths can help you to achieve said goals.
- When you are having a hard day, take a look at the list of your strengths. Can your strengths help to pull you out of the situation or the mood that you are in?
- When you are having an amazing day and it feels like everything is going your way, take a look back at your day and see how you used your strengths to your advantage! It will also help you to look back and reflect on these moments when you aren’t exactly having the best day!
Please note that this has been paraphrased from VIA’s blog post!
What are your top 7 or 8 strengths? I would love to hear them!!
One thought on “Top 3 reasons you should focus on your strengths”